Saturday, March 17, 2007

hochzeit


"Hochzeit" is the word for wedding in German. Pronounced "hoh' kh' site", it literally translates to "high time" or " high celebration". What an expression! A charming, and reflective way to describe such a joyful and significant event.
Traditionally, as in many western cultures , the bridal couple receive china for there wedding. Found at a flohmarkt (flea market) in Überlingen, this Hochzeit Geschirr or wedding china was made in Bavaria between the 1940s and 50s.



Take a look at the bottom or leg of the cup. It is gorgeous.

~post sent over from elsa. thank you!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Oh! I am so hyperventilating over this lovely set you found, it's all in my favourite colours :-)

Unknown said...

That is just gorgeous! Love the shape of the cup handle and base. I've never seen anything like it. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is the most beautiful china! I think I'm hyperventilating, too... and drooling!

The foot on the teacup is amazing!

Laurie K said...

I adore your footed teacup! I do love the color too. I collect footed teacups, just a small collection, and I have to say that I have not seen one quite like this one. Thank you for sharing!